The Cottage Acquisition Scales for Listening, Language, and Speech (CASLLS) are based on the development of a typical hearing child in the areas of cognition, listening, language, and speech. The scales can be used as a roadmap for promoting continuity from pre-verbal to complex language skills and are an effective way to assess and drive instruction for learners with hearing loss. The CASLLS are available in English and Spanish.
Participants will leave the workshop with the tools to begin using CASLLS with their students. Videos of teachers and Speech Pathologists using CASLLS "paint a thousand words".
· define the purpose/use of the CASLLS
· practice language sampling and discover its significance as a means for selecting appropriate listening, language, and speech goals
· analyze language samples and plot data onto CASLLS
· examine data on CASLLS to select goals and plan for intervention
· acquire strategies/techniques to utilize in a classroom or therapy setting
· explore methods to involve the parent/caregiver in carry-over of CASLLS targets
· observe/discuss strategies for embedding CASLLS Structures in Academics