Types of Workshops Offered
Workshop topics/activities include but are not limited to:
- ASL Grammar and Structure
- Deaf Culture
- Facial Grammar
- Sign Language Games
- CASE (Conceptually Accurate Signed English)
- Sign Vocabulary Building
- Mouth Morphemes
- Classifiers and Directionality
- Number Incorporation
- Conversational Strategies
- Use of Space
- Discourse Analysis
- Deaf Humor
- Idioms and ASL Phrases
- Educational Vocabulary
- Sight Translations
- Code of Professional Conduct for Interpreters
- Expressive Transliterating*
- Expressive Interpreting*
- BEI Basic and Advanced Evaluation Process*
*offered only during interpreter workshops
What to Expect at CSW
CSW participants will be involved in 40+ hours of sign language activities. Because the workshop activities build on each other, certificates and CEUs will only be awarded to those attending all activities.
Skill building activities will occur in
- small group classroom instruction
- mealtime lectures
- large group settings
While participants are required to attend all activities, and should be prepared to work hard, they can also anticipate having lots of fun! All full time instructors are D/deaf professionals or BEI Level IV, V or Masters certified interpreters.
- CSW funding is provided through an IDEA-B discretionary grant through Educational Service Center 11 and program support from the Texas School for the Deaf.
- Due to the grant requirements, only parents of deaf and hard of hearing children in early childhood through grade 12, those working with these children, or teaching American Sign Language will be accepted.
- Participants are required to pay an $100.00 non-refundable fee for the workshop, $125 for payments received after June 1, 2019. (Do not send money until you have been accepted to the workshop.)
- The workshops will be held at the Texas School for the Deaf in Austin, Texas and will include training, meals (Sunday dinner through Thursday lunch), and lodging.
- Travel expenses are the responsibility of the individual or their program.