What happens during elementary summer program?
Through fun, thematic units, students have the opportunity to improve reading, writing, and math skills as well as learn to think critically to solve problems and apply learning through real-world experience.
What makes this program unique?
- Classes are taught in American Sign Language (ASL) and English.
- Language Facilitators are provided for students who are non-signers.
- Students are interacting with other deaf and hard of hearing students from all across Texas.
When is the program?
There are 2 two-week sessions for Elementary Summer Programs.
Grades 3 - 5 Session is for students who have completed grades 3-5
- The session is from Monday, June 18 through Friday, June 29, 2018.
- Check in: Sunday, June 17 from 1:00pm - 3:00pm on the Texas School for the Deaf campus.
- Check out: Friday, June 29 at noon.
Grades K-2 Session is for students who have completed kindergarten through second grade.
- The session is from Monday, July 2 through Friday, July 13, 2018.
- Check in: Sunday, July 1 from 1:00pm - 3:00pm in the Multi-Purpose Room of the Ford Career and Technology Education (CTE) Building.
- Check out: Friday, July 13 at noon.
- Special Information about the Fourth of July.
- TSD will provide activities for the students who are here on Wednesday, the Fourth of July. However, if parents/guardians want to pick up students for the long holiday weekend, advance arrangements must be made with both the school and residential departments for pick up and return.
What are the program options and Costs*
- Day Only $176: For students who attend daily for two weeks from 8:00am - 3:15pm.
- Day Plus Evening $336: For students who attend for two weeks from 8:00a - through the early evening so that they may enjoy some additional after school programs. Pick-up must be NO LATER than 8:00pm.
- After school programs include:
- field trips
- physical activities
- creative activities
- and more...
- Day+Plus Overnight/Weekends $366: For students who stay in the dorms and over the weekend during the two weeks of summer programs.
- Overnight dorms offer:
- staff members on duty 24/7 to closely supervise and provide support in a home-like environment.
- videophones and other options for students to call their parents/caregivers.
We accept money orders in mail only (Money orders must be completed and signed.) We accept payments over phone. We also accept cash and card payments in person.
Texas School for the Deaf
1102 South Congress Ave
Austin, TX 78704
Window Hours: 10-11:30am and 1:30-4pm
*The LAST day of registration is on March 1, 2018. Registration fees not paid by the final deadline of March 1, 2018 are automatically canceled and another student will be accepted in the available slot.
*Fees are used for recreational activities and supplies/materials only.
Parents are always welcome to visit their child and/or take their child off campus for the weekend or for an evening of family time. However, every day and evening is full of activities and your child may prefer to stay and participate in the program. If you choose to take your child off campus, it is important to remember the following:
- Any child leaving campus with anyone other than TSD staff MUST be formally signed out and parent/guardian ID shown to the Supervisor on duty.
- Advance notice that you will be taking the child is necessary so any alternate plans that are needed can be addressed.
- If a child is removed from campus overnight, the Supervisor the next morning must be informed of arrival.
- If a child who is an overnight student leaves campus repeatedly and is gone all night, the bed may be given to another child on the waiting list.
Required Forms for Elementary Summer Programs
Please print, complete, and sign the following three forms using black ink. Bring all of these documents with you on check-in day.
- TSD Responsibilites and Consent for Medical Treatment
- Student Electronic Devices Policy
- TSD Code of Conduct