What will students do in this program?
Our top priority is to create a positive and healthy atmosphere to keep your child involved, learning, creatively challenged, physically active, and safe. We use thematic instruction explored through hands-on activities, technology, enrichment activities, art and drama, literacy, math, science, history, field trips and fun. In the process students grow in self awareness, empowerment, identity, goal setting and community service.
What makes this program unique?
- Classes are taught in American Sign Language (ASL) and English.
- Language Facilitators are provided for students who are non-signers.
- Students are interacting with other deaf and hard of hearing students from all across Texas.
Who can attend?
Texas deaf or hard of hearing students who have completed either 6th, 7th or 8th grade.
What are the dates?
- It is a three week session, from June 17 - July 6th, 2017.
- Check in: Sunday, June 17 from 1:00pm - 3:00pm on the Texas School for the Deaf campus.
- Check out: Friday, July 6th at noon.
What are the program options and costs*?
The fee depends on which of the three participation options a student chooses.
- Day Only $280: For students who attend daily for three weeks from 8:00am - 3:15pm.
- Day + Evening $520: For students who attend for three weeks from 8am through the early evening so that they may enjoy the additional evening activities. Pick up must be NO LATER than 8:00pm.
- After school programs include:
- field trips (e.g.. Main Event, Blazer Tag, Barton Springs, ice cream parlors, etc.)
- physical activities
- creative activities
- and more...
- Day + Overnight/Weekends $520: For students who stay overnight in the dorms and over the weekends during the three weeks of summer programs.
- The overnight program offers:
- dorms with suite-like rooms and communal bathrooms.
- staff members on duty 24/7 to closely supervise and provide support in a home-like environment.
- videophones and other options for students to call their parents/caregivers.
- weekend field trips (i.e. Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Schlitterbahn, Sea World, etc.)
We accept money orders in mail only (Money orders must be completed and signed.) We accept payments over phone. We also accept cash and card payments in person.
Texas School for the Deaf
1102 South Congress Ave
Austin, TX 78704
Window Hours: 10-11:30am and 1:30-4pm
*The LAST day of registration is on March 1, 2018. Registration fees not paid by the final deadline of March 1, 2018 are automatically canceled and another student will be accepted in the available slot.
*Fees are used for recreational activities and supplies only.
Parents are always welcome to visit their child and/or take their child off campus for the weekend or for an evening of family time. However, every day and evening is full of activities and your child may prefer to stay and participate in the program. If you choose to take your child off campus, it is important to remember the following:
- Any child leaving campus with anyone other than TSD staff MUST be formally signed out and parent/guardian ID shown to the Supervisor on duty.
- Advance notice that you will be taking the child is necessary so any alternate plans that are needed can be addressed.
- If a child is removed from campus overnight, the Supervisor the next morning must be informed of arrival.
- If a child who is an overnight student leaves campus repeatedly and is gone all night, the bed may be given to another child on the waiting list.
What are the required forms for Middle School Summer Programs?
Please print, complete, and sign the following three forms using black ink. Bring all of these documents with you on check-in day, June 17.
- TSD Responsibilities and Consent for Medical Treatment
- Student Electronic Devices Policy
TSD Code of Conduct